Monday, November 21, 2011

Four Weddings and a Baby Blessing!



Not a week passes in my work that I don't see or learn something new. I literally meet thousands of people every year-- if not to shake all their hands and learn all their names then at least to smile at them and connect as we all celebrate the love. I also learn interesting wedding rituals and just when I thought I knew them all, someone will surprise me with some new-to-me tradition. Something else I am always reminded of: every bride and groom have their own picture of just how their wedding day should be. Some folks want a big, fancy affair. Others want to keep it super simple and super small. Well this week, I had all of these points re-emphasized as I performed Four Weddings & a Baby Blessing. Here are lots of pictures and the stories behind them. But first, let's start with a little video that Vince and Minette made and are allowing me to share here (thanks, y'all!) Theirs was a teeny-tiny wedding at Chapel Dulcinea, with only their beautiful Blue Heeler, Emie, as a witness: 



On Sunday I did a tiny wedding at Umlauf Sculpture Garden, which is gorgeous every day of the year. This wedding brought together a Japanese groom and an American Bride. 
You can't tell by looking but this enthusiastic guest actually was coping with jet lag-- the groom's family arrived just the day before.

For this wedding I learned the San San Kudo Ritual. It's a  Shinto tradition that involves the bride and groom taking three small sips apiece from three different sized bowls. Very cool.

I think Umlauf Sculpture Garden is one of those Best Kept Secret Wedding Venues. It's so pretty and it's really easy to get to. The gardens are wonderful and the sculptures are lovely, too. I've done lots of weddings here, including my first one of 2011, on January 1st.

I snapped this picture after my second wedding on Saturday. This was a tiny little wedding at Bob Wentz Park, out past The Oasis, overlooking Lake Austin. 
Here's a little secret for thrifty brides with big imaginations and a playful spirit-- Tara got her veil at Terra Toys! Really. The shop has a great costume department and this lovely lace ran her all of $20.
The wedding at Bob Wentz Park was Buddhist, and included a part where I flicked water onto bride and groom from a leaf. Then, at the end, during the kiss, I gently pelted them with rose petals. 

The very laid back Buddhist wedding couple. 
This is the main house at Barr Mansion. I have many "absolute favorite" wedding venues, but Barr Mansion holds a really, really special place in my heart. This is where I performed my first ceremony as a professional (it was my second wedding ever-- my first wedding was thanks to some very kind friends who volunteered to be my guinea pigs). I remember being so nervous for that first ceremony, but Rick-- the main coordinator at Barr-- put me right at ease. Any time I get to return here my heart sings. The place is so romantic and so historic and on top of all that Rick is a hoot. 
Abby does the flowers at Barr Mansion. She knows a lot about the place-- her parents own it and she grew up in the mansion. Talk about knowing the business inside and out. And she always does such an amazing job with bouquets and arrangements.
The gorgeous bride right before her ceremony at Barr. I had such a great time getting to know her and her groom. Their wedding illustrated two points when their original officiant backed out at the last minute. Point 1: When interviewing officiants, check to see if they have a set agenda they insist on imposing and, if they do, unless you agree with them 100%, find someone else. Point 2: Avoid that problem and just HIRE SPIKE! She's super flexible!

Last year Barr Mansion suffered a true tragedy when lightning struck their ballroom and it burned to the ground. That place had been so stunning, with an Honest-to-Pete (Honest-to-PEAT) thatched roof. The good news is that they rebuilt and the new hall is just as stunning as the old one was. 

More of Abby's genius.

Another view out at Barr Mansion. 
Lookee thar! I got top billing! (Not really, but it was nice seeing my name on the board. Back in the old days that meant detention. No more!)

Yet another cool and crafty wedding idea. Those little cards in the drawers? Guests could take one out, roll it into the typewriter and leave a fun message. 
On Saturday morning I did a Baby Blessing for this wonderful family. I had such a great time meeting them and learning about them. Though I do far more weddings than Baby Blessings, I love presiding over these events, too. There are always lots of kids and happy people.  It was a wonderful way to start the weekend.

The Baby Blessing was held at the French Legation-- I just did a wedding there the other week. The French Legation is one of several bazillion wonderful venues in Austin. The grounds are stunning and this little carriage house makes for a very intimate ceremony setting, too.

Decorations for the Baby Blessing included these adorable little nests. 
If you're planning a wedding, a commitment ceremony, vow renewals, a baby blessing or any other event that calls for an officiant, I sure hope you'll check out my officiant website and give me a holler. I'd love to preside over your happy event. 

No comments:

Post a Comment