Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Small Weddings-- Trending?

Some backyards are bigger than others, no?

Twice this month, The New Yorks Times ran articles about how some couples are going for smaller weddings these days to save money. The first article was about eloping, with just the officiant and photographer for witnesses. The second article focused on backyard weddings.

I admit I have a special place in my heart for backyard weddings. That doesn't mean I don't enjoy the big weddings I perform at fancy venues that offer all the bells and whistles and then some. I'm happy to dress up and step up for those occasions and I love seeing how couples pull out all the stops. I was just talking to my sister about her daughter/my niece's wedding in South Jersey and that was a BIG one. They had a blast getting ready for it and the whole thing was worth it-- my sister says it was everything her daughter ever dreamed of, and as it turns out my niece is one of those young women who imagined her wedding day from an early age.


Bridesmaids and groomsmen at the big backyard wedding I did recently.

I certainly work with some couples who put months, a year and sometimes even more time into planning giant events. But I also work with lots of couples who work on a shorter deadline, and are flexible with everything from decorations to venue to time of ceremony. They don't exactly make it up as they go along (well, a few do) but these couples are so laid back they're okay if details change along the way. Not surprisingly, many of these couples are the same ones who go for backyard weddings, doing the catering themselves or inviting guests to bring potluck dishes.


Backyard weddings are a great way to go if you want to save some money, involve the family, and hold your event in a place you can visit again and again And this being Texas, some backyards are bigger (way bigger) that venues specifically designed for weddings. Toward that end, I recently performed a ceremony on a ranch overlooking Pedernales State Park. It was private property and technically the backyard of the bride's uncle. But dang, what a backyard it was.

If you're considering a backyard wedding and want some details of events I've done like this, just ask me. And ask about my special rate for small backyard weddings (fewer than 30 guests).

No comments:

Post a Comment