Wednesday, May 22, 2013

With Gratitude to All Y'all I've Worked With-- Thank You for the Good Words!


photo copyright Carly Madsen Photography
When I first started performing weddings seven years ago, this was my side job. Then, in 2010, I made the decision to shift things around and focus mostly on being an officiant and teaching writing, and less on running after writing work. I was burnt out with the writing plus the Internet had changed things so much-- both content quality and pay dropped off exponentially. But wedding work? The payoff in positive energy alone was (and remains) beyond abundant.

Still, it is a job, a business, and as such requires that I put myself out there and advertise. Toward that end, my friend Michael built me a gorgeous website and my friend Garreth coached me on how to get that website noticed. One thing he told me? I had to ask for reviews.

I hesitated at first, feeling a little icky asking folks to write up reviews. I felt like they'd paid me to do my job, and I'd done it, and now they wanted to head off down the path of wedded bliss without me hounding them. Garreth explained that ratings and reviews are just The Way Things Are Now. And then one bride, upon hearing I was a little reluctant to ask, reminded me that she never would've found me without reading my reviews, and she was glad she found me, so I should just go ahead and ask.

Here I am knitting before the ceremony. I like to do that when I have time-- helps me get centered.
photo copyright Carly Madsen Photography

So I do. Once every few weeks I reach out to a bunch of couples and ask them, if they have the time and inclination, to write about their experience with me either at my Wedding Wire page or my Yelp page (or both). The results have left me blushing-- I've now got close to 150 five-star reviews. How incredibly kind of y'all.

Just last night, I got an email from another couple-- I performed their ceremony a few weeks ago. They'd dated briefly over thirty years ago, and then life's adventures found them parting ways only to unite all these years later. That was such a beautiful wedding. Actually, they all are.

Jude & Jim took the time to write the following review and send the pictures you see here:


Our entire experience with Spike (from our initial meeting to the ceremony itself) was absolutely delightful.  She worked closely with us to truly capture the essence of what we wanted for this important day—listening carefully to our story and our desires for the ceremony.  Spike’s way of being made it comfortable for everyone—and there was quite a mix at our wedding! Her way with words, with us and with everyone at the wedding helped to make our day exactly what we hoped for.     

Jim and Jude, Austin

Thanks so much, y'all! Glad to be of service,
Spike

No comments:

Post a Comment