Wednesday, April 11, 2012

In Sickness and In Health

Gorgeous custom made rings feature the bride and groom's fingerprints.

So a couple of weeks ago, I was all set with a clever (I thought) post title: Five Golden Rings! You know,as in a partridge in a pear tree and all that. The idea was going to be that I had just finished five weddings in two days, launching the busiest time of the year. Now, technically, it would've been ten golden rings, and actually not all of them were gold. But the idea still felt good to me.

And then... And then, as Wedding #5 wrapped on April Fools Day, I fell ill. Very ill. You might think it's not a good idea for me to discuss such things here, that it might make you worry. Actually, one of the best questions couples ask me when interviewing me (and not enough couples ask this) is: What happens if you get sick the day of our wedding?


I have two answers to that-- the first is that I have one of those bodies that is healthy as a horse most of the time, but seems to just know when it's "okay" to get sick. In other words, the rare times I am under the weather, it's always in between weddings. I've done around 250 ceremonies now, and I haven't missed one. And I have no plans in the future to miss any. I just show up. It's what I do.

Okay, then, you might ask-- what if I break my leg? Well here's the second answer: in the past, I've always had two or three other officiants I knew I could count on to cover for me. And once, I covered for another officiant. These days, I have at least five backups, three of whom I trained myself, so I know that I have a plan B that includes someone with my sensibilities.

Remember that, next time you're interviewing vendors-- ask if they've ever had an emergency and how they handled it. It's a fair question.

Meanwhile, I recovered from my tonsillitis just in time to do another five weddings over the course of a single weekend. I'm telling you, it is busy busy busy over here. And so, herewith, pictures from ten weddings I performed over the course of eight days at all sorts of places including Chapel Dulcinea, Dunvegan Keep, Alamo Drafthouse, Barton Creek Country Club, Duchman Family Winery, and several backyards. I hope you'll consider hiring me to perform yours. More info at my wedding website: www.CustomHitchesWeddings.com














































No comments:

Post a Comment